Last Update: April 23, 2020 8:43 AM
If you have new employees starting throughout your calendar year, you can use the Prorated Balance setting to give them a percentage of their time-off balance based on their hire date. This is most often used with policies that give time upfront and do not accrue.
To add a prorated balance to a policy, you must create the prorated balance first. The prorated option will not appear when adding a time-off type to a policy until you do this.
To create a prorated balance:
- Click Settings in the Main Menu then Prorated Balance
- Select Add New
- Name it (ie: Standard Proration) and set to active so it can be added to a policy
- If your fiscal/calendar year runs from January to December, hit “click here” at the top of the page to auto-populate the proper percentages.
- Optional: You can also manually enter percentages for the first and second half of each month.
- Hit Save Settings
To add the prorated balance to a time-off policy:
Under Main Menu, select Settings then Time-Off Policies:
- Create a new time-off policy (you can find step-by-step instructions here)
- Add time-off types to your policy. This is where you’ll choose the settings that apply to your time-off type.
- Set Default Balance to Prorated to apply the prorated balance you just created.
If you’ve already created a policy, you can create the prorated balance then go back and edit the settings to add the prorated balance to an existing policy. This is only going to affect new hires going forward, so you do not have to reapply the policy to existing users.
Note: Prorated balances are calculated using the user's hired date. Make sure to include a hired date when creating new users in Staff™.